Friday, July 08, 2005

Ava's Birth Story

Okay. This is over due- but I was just not feeling up to sitting here and writing down the birth story.

Ava is now 9 days old.

Well on Monday the 27th I had another NST (non-stress test) scheduled at my doctors office. Once again they could not keep her heartbeat on the monitor- just their equipment. So they scheduled me to go to labor and delivery for the test. They could not get me in until Tuesday morning the 28th.

On Tuesday morning I got a call from the hospital- my appointment was at 10:30 and I believe the call came in around 8am- it was a labor and delivery nurse saying that she thought that because the labor and delivery ward was pretty empty they could just induce me that day. She said that my doctor mentioned inducing on Saturday the 2nd if I had not gone into labor- but that Saturdays were not good for inducing- and its better to do it when they have the staff, etc... I said that she should call my doctor and if she was okay with it then so was I. I was just sooooo ready to have the baby at this point. So I called Casey at work and asked him to come straight home. My doctor called me and said lets go for it.

We called Tracy to meet us at the hospital to get the kids- called Caseys parents as well to let them know what was happening -and they would need to take over kid duty when Tracy had to go to work that night.

Got to the hospital around 10ish and they tried the NST test- but they couldn't really get a good read either. At 11am they started the pitocin. By then Tracy had gotten the kids- we rented a motel room near the hospital for her to watch them at.

The pitocin was started slow and was not too bad- I remember with the other ones it seemed to start the contractions really fast. I was progressing pretty well considering my past history with pitocin. I don't really remember the time line of things but I remember the nurse saying that my doctor was heading over to break my water- I think around 5pm or so- because it was dinner time (not that I got to eat- :-) ) - Oh before that I did get some broth and crackers- which to me was like steak and lobster- compared to ice chips. - anyhow while waiting for my Doctor the contractions became really close together and strong and I was getting very agitated and definatly ready for my epidural- I was already about 4cm- and was told earlier that anytime I wanted it I could have it- I sent Casey out of the room several times to ask them for my epi- and he kept coming back saying that they did not know when my doctor would be there- he had asked them that- rather then asking them for what I told him to ask for- My epi. So I got really mad and snapped at him- the nurse had came in and said she assumed my doctor was on her way- thinking that was my question- I was like "that is not what I asked for, I want an epi NOW!" So within a pretty short amount of time they came and gave me the epi- the doctor did a great job putting it in ( had a hard time getting it in the last baby)- anyhow- the epidural worked pretty quickly but I got the shakes very bad. My doctor showed up sometime later and broke my water. The baby had, had her first bowel movement- so they were somewhat concerned about that- there was quite a bit of it in there.

After some time it was time to push- again not sure about the time maybe around 9:30pm or something. I did not really feel the urge to push as I did with the other two- but I did feel some pressure and was dialated to a 10- however her head was still high- I pushed for around 2 1/2 hours- and was not making any progress- the pressure was unbearable ( with the othre two I only pushed about 20minutes) - at this point I was begging them just to take the baby out! Finally my doctor agreed we were getting nowhere- she thought baby was sunny side up and just plain stuck. The decision for a C-Section was made.

Once they made the decision- it still seemed like a long time getting prepped- undoing all the monitors, moving me to the OR- etc.... It took a while for the anesthesiologist to get me numb again- but finally did -I was feeling a bit nauseous- so he put alcohol wipes under my nose for me to smell- this did the trick. I was not really scared or anything even though we never really talked about what to expect if I needed a C-section- I think I was prepared from watching all those episodes of "A baby story" on TLC- everything was pretty much just like it showed on the show.

I did not feel anything but tugging- and could pretty much tell when they pulled the baby out- my doctor was saying things like "he this, and he that"- so I assumed it was a boy- just as I had thought for most of the pregnancy. But at one point someone said "so what do we have" and my doctor said "oh I did not even look"- so I was like "Casey what is it" and he said....' It's a girl"- I did not believe him- but he said it again- I was so happy- I really wanted a girl- just did not believe I would have one. I started crying because I was so happy and then got nauseous and said "ummm I think I am going throw up" and I did- but just a little bit- (sorry if TMI- (too much info) - :-)

Casey went with Ava to the nursery and they finished putting me back together and took me into the recovery room. Apparently I had lost alot of blood and required a blood transfusion. They gave me several shots of morphine for the pain. At some point they brought the baby in and I tried to nurse her- she did latch on a bit- I don't remember much of this time due to the drugs.

Oh- by the way- she was born at 12:59 AM on Wednesday June 29th, 2005. Weight 8.2 length 20.5 -

After my time in the recovery room they moved me to the mother baby unit and brought Ava in.

They removed the catheder around 3-4pm on Wednesday and had me get up- that was tough. Later that day however I was able to get up with less assistance and actually got to take a shower. The incision did not hurt much because once the epi wore off I was taking percoet every 4 hours and ibuprofin every 6hours- but I had really bad gas pain- that is awful.

We were released home on friday afternoon at around 3pm.

I am little by little getting back to "normal" They said no driving for two weeks- I think I will attempt that next tuesday at Ava's next appointment. I have an appointment on wednesday with the surgeon for a wound check. Hopefully I have been taking good enough care of it- I have these surgical strips over where the staples were.

I think that is about all for now. Sounds like baby is up and ready to eat!

Thanks for reading!

No comments: